Custom Search
Interview with the New Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs | sodere

Interview with the New Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs


By Kirubel Tadesse  (Capital Ethiopia

A new generation of EPRDF leaders arises. Former Southern Nations’ president Hailemariam Desalegn is the new Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs, succeeding the nineteen-year reign of Seyoum Mesfin. An intellectual in office, Hailemariam says to be well-prepared for his job as the right hand of Prime Minister Meles Zenawi and the keeper of Ethiopia’s international ties. 
In an exclusive interview with Capital, the first of its kind since he entered office, Hailemariam opens up about his personal life and at the same time handles some touchy political issues. 

Capital: Why would a postgraduate degree holder want to come back to Ethiopia in 1991 when the EPRDF was taking power and there were so many uncertainties across the country?
Deputy PM Hailemariam: I had two reasons to come back to Ethiopia. I knew that there would be a better situation in the country than during the Derg regime. I have been following the media and was in contact with some of my friends, who all indicated that things would be better. I noticed that the EPRDF was handling the community fairly and democratically, so I didn’t worry too much about what would happen to me. I said to myself: I have to go back to my country and see what is happening – that was the first reason.
The second reason was my family. They were in Ethiopia. It would have been selfish to stay there when my family was here. My daughter was born when I was leaving; she turned two at that time. I was willing to make any sacrifice for her and my family.
Capital: What was next for the returnee, most academics prefer to stay away from politics, why didn’t you? more


No comments:

Post a Comment